Friday, December 13, 2013

Friday Follow-up

Hi there! 

Hope you all are doing well and that your holiday seasons are enjoyable! 

First of all, thank you guys so much for the emails and texts I got supporting me in this journey.  It's a interesting beast, this white elephant in the room, and perhaps an interesting conversation about why its so hard to have this conversation about struggles with weight. But that's for another day. Suffice it to say, for now, that I love you and I'm glad you are my friend. :-)
 
Today I'm doing a quick accountability check in so you can see how close I am in getting to my goal.  As always, tips and motivations appreciated!

1 Wed Bi and Jog -400
2 Thurs Shoulders and Abs -425 -425
3 Fri Pull muscles and Jog -460 -460
4 Sat Legs -330
5 Sun Yoga -300
6 Mon Push muscles (Back and Bi) -325
7 Tues Off  
8 Wed Jog -425
9 Thurs Sprint intervals on the Elliptical -300
                                                                                              Total: -2965  
Goal: 3857

So I know I need to do roughly two additional workouts to make up for where I should be at this point (much less getting ahead for when I leave on vacation next week for the final push!).  That being said though, I'm pretty pleased with this. I had an incredibly busy week with engagements 6 out of the 9 days that cut into my workout time. So for example, last night our neighborhood through a holiday party at a wine store near us.  We missed the block party when we moved in, so it was really important to both of us to go and meet the people we've been living around for almost 5 months! However, the party started at 6:30, and while I thought I would be able to get home early to get in my workout before, my meeting ran long, so we got to the gym at 5:30. BUT we both squeezed in a workout! I originally had been planning to do my "push day"* but decided to do some interval sprints on the elliptical to maximize my calorie burn since I knew I had a deficit this week.

Lessons learned so far:

1- In this hectic season, it might have been a little optimistic that I would still be able to do my 90 min workouts with lifting and cardio. Whether it means breaking it up into two workouts, or settling with one 30 minute workout before the party, its about remembering that a short workout is better than no workout! And going to work with your hair wet on Friday *probably* won't get you in trouble with the boss.

2- Your mind will quit before your body more often than not. On my jogs, I'm focusing on distance. I want to be able to run a 5K with no walk breaks, so I've been doing Galloway, as mentioned in some of my previous posts. Each session I'm slightly increasing up the time, but have been keeping at the same pace, since pace wasn't my goal. But after talking to SuperDan, I realized that since my conditioning felt like it could take the push, I just needed to go for it! Plus, we are talking about upping it .5-- nothing crazy! So on Wed I finally tested it out, and I must report, I did indeed survive, and I was pretty darn proud of myself!

3- Wine tastes better after you've done something to deserve it, i.e. sprint intervals. Even if it makes the old man on the elliptical next to you give you the evil eye as your machine rocks-- no shame girlfriend!

So for the next 8 days, I have to average about 540 calories a day burned to be on track for the goal. Ouch. Suggestions welcome! Saturday the 21st I will leave for skiing for 4 days, so I'm unsure how I'll track/if I'll count that or what my available options will be. I certainly don't want to count on having to make up time when I'm at Snowshoe!

What are your tips for getting maximum calorie burn in a short amount of time? Are you a HIIT girl too?

Oh, and has anyone heard or tried swimming with your HRM and specifically Polar watch? Will I ruin it?

Thanks, and have a happy Friday evening! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment